We are so used to a toothy grin that we are taken aback when we see someone with a tooth that is missing. It naturally makes the person aware of his or her own appearance and affects their self-confidence. To save themselves from humiliation, it may make them hide their smile or avoid socialising altogether. There are many causes of missing teeth, ranging from tooth decay to gum disease and congenital causes to name a few. Missing teeth, however, is not the end of the road. With the aid of an experienced dentist at Totally Teeth Endeavour Hills who can guarantee proper care, the issue can be easily solved.
Let us take a look at the causes, precautions, and treatments that are available for missing teeth.
Main Causes of Missing Teeth
The largest number of cases recorded for tooth loss around the world is attributed to periodontal disease or gum disease. Dental plaque triggers the disease, and the protective system of the body works against the bacteria by releasing substances that contribute to gum inflammation. Bleeding and swollen gums are the early symptoms of the disorder. It enters the bone under the tooth as the infection spreads and kills the support structure which makes the tooth slip off the socket.
The loss of teeth can also result from cavities that have not been treated for a long time or inadequate dental treatment. The condition can be exacerbated by many other conditions such as type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure, which can exacerbate your gum disease and cause tooth loss.
In the form of an inherited ailment known as ectodermal dysplasia, your genetics can also contribute to missing teeth. The wisdom teeth may be absent in such situations, or the lateral incisors might not exist at all. Apart from these, another cause for missing teeth may be an injury or accident. It may lead to issues with chewing and biting and a lack of nutrition. It can also damage the jaw structure which can create wide gaps between the teeth or result in overcrowding that can be handled by an orthodontic specialist.
While certain causes, such as loss of teeth in an accident or congenital conditions, are beyond human control, other risk factors can be held in check. Tooth decay occurs as the build-up of bacteria on the teeth begins to affect the enamel and creates cavities.
- You need to clean and floss your teeth twice everyday to keep bacteria away, and use a mouthwash to rinse them afterwards.
- Visit our dentist at Totally Teeth Endeavour Hills immediately and have it checked if you find cavities, as prolonging the action will make matters worse.
- After every six months of annual check-ups, clean and fluoride treatment by your dentist, you should use fluoride containing toothpaste with your regular brushing.
- You have to eat a well-balanced diet that contains all the necessary nutrients.
- Say no to sugar-loaded sticky foods and products, such as candies, chocolates, gummies, packaged juices etc.
- Smoking is a significant risk factor because it decreases saliva flow, which causes bacteria to cling to the gums and teeth and gives way to plaque and tartar.
Know more about the risk factors for your missing teeth! Speak to Our Dentist in Endeavour Hills
Treatment of Missing Teeth
If you have recently lost a tooth or some time ago, with these treatments to replace your missing teeth, an expert dentist will help you get your charming smile back.
Dental Bridges to replace teeth
There are prostheses which are called dental bridges that are used to cover a missing tooth or a pair of teeth in the same position. With the aid of dental cement, it is mounted on the adjacent teeth and fixed in the position. It is an option which looks more like natural teeth and fixed to your teeth. The only downside to this treatment is that if bacteria start breeding under the bridge, they can lead to cavities or serious infection because after the insertion of prosthesis sometimes it is difficult to brush and floss the crevices under the bridge.
It is a popular dental procedure nowadays to replace the missing tooth by placing a titanium metal implant surgically in the jaw where the tooth is missing. A new tooth is fitted into it after the implant heals to give it permanence. It looks natural for a lifetime and lasts for many years. It does not require drilling of the neighbouring teeth (such as required in dental bridge preparation) and therefore does not interfere with brushing. It is a surgical procedure, so you must be prepared for the recovery time to endure some discomfort.
An attractive smile is important for self-confidence. What's more, a healthy mouth is important for proper functioning. If you are unhappy with your or your child's missing teeth, speak to your dentist about the options for replacement. Totally Teeth can offer a solution that looks natural and improves your dental health in Endeavour Hills.
One other alternative to replace the missing teeth is to make partial dentures that fit in around the existing teeth. The downside of using partial dentures is that they are not fixed in the mouth. We need to adjust our chewing habits sometimes and get used to them in the mouth. Sometimes the metal hooks that hold the dentures show around teeth while smiling as well. But is an alternative to avoid costlier Dental Implant surgery or Dental Bridge.
Why Hire Totally Teeth for your Missing Teeth Treatment in Endeavour Hills?
- We are GENTLE.
- We will do everything to minimise your discomfort.
- Value For money: Quality Dental Care at a fair price.
- Mercury Free: We use only “White Fillings” made of resin, ceramic or porcelain
- Bulk Billing Dentist: For eligible kids covered under Medicare’s Child Dental Benefit Scheme
- Emergencies/Toothaches: We will endeavour to get you out of pain ASAP!
- Convenient Location: Plenty of FREE PARKING available